Sunday, June 27, 2010

McCravings and McMedicines

A couple of years ago, while we let the kids play in the play area at the local McDonald's, Mary Ann and I were coming up with all new McDonald's terms. I'm pretty sure it was during one of the McRib phases. Like, "this McRib sandwich is making me McSick." Or, "the smell from all the kids socks in the play area is McStinky."

I've had to add another to the long list we were coming up with back then. The McCravings or McMedicine. Amanda's chemo has given her many side effects. Very high mood swings and overall orneriness are among them. This weekend was no different. On Saturday there was plenty of whaling and lamenting about having to have the chemo and how "its the worstest day ever." We do what we can to try to accommodate the moods but have found there is very difficult line to define between where we need to be the parent and live by the rules that were set, and where and when to give in to a child that is going through very difficult times and is heavily drugged. Sometimes it is very tough to know what side to lean towards.

When Amanda gets cravings for something it can be a tough battle with her until she either gets what she is looking for, or gets distracted enough with something else. Since early morning Saturday, Amanda had the craving for a McDonald's hamburger. She was asking for one before 10:00 am. We tried to hold her off as long as possible but paid the price for waiting so long. We didn't get out until maybe 5-6 hours later. She spent a lot of the day crying, screaming, getting her massive headaches from the crying, and overall having one of her "very bad days." When we finally hit that drive through it was like flipping the switch. She downed the hamburger and no more crying, she started talking normally, she perked up, and became more like herself. I don't know if I'd every call something from McD's medicine, but it sure cured what was ailing her yesterday.

On a side note, after the burger she had enough left in her to go to Hobby Lobby to go find some more projects to keep her busy. While wandering through the store, Erin pointed this out to me. She said, "Dad, Dad, look. I'm on the crayon box." I think Amanda pointed it out to Erin but Erin was pretty excited how much it looked like her. You decide.
After Hobby Lobby we hit the snow cone shack for a quick cool down. Everyone downed their snow cone pretty quickly except Amanda. She only ate about half of hers. We try several different ways to keep her hydrated and drinking during chemo because it helps with the migraines. But sometimes no matter what we try she just doesn't seem to be able to drink as much as she should. We didn't push our luck because right after the snow cone and we hoped in the car and we heard, "I'm getting a headache." That means head home quick and stay on top of it before it becomes unbearable. We still dream of when we can get out further away from home as a family but it seems we don't get too far from home lately. You have to take enjoyment in the little moments whenever you can.

2 comments:

  1. The picture on the box of crayons is crazy. It looks just like Erin. I can vouch for the grumpy mood. Today Amanda wanted Sienneh to come over, but Mary Ann and I decided tomorrow would be better. She was not very happy. I have to share a text she sent me. It says, "I hate waiting for tomorrow. I want cc to come today. Today is dumb. I am only 6% happy today." I felt so bad for her yet at the same time I could hardly stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agee with Jen. Wow!! Erin should do modeling. I don't know how that would fit in with all the up's and happy wonderful downs. As sad as that text is, it really is funny. I'm glad the girls can all play together. Scott, you and MaryAnn's life is a polar opposite of mine. If you ever want the remote to yourself or complete silence "except for pickles", come on over.

    ReplyDelete