Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Quick Thank You

It's late and I should be going to bed. But I wanted to give a big "thank you" out to everyone who has shared their thoughts and support for Amanda and our family. We have been truly blessed with great family, friends, neighbors, nurses, doctors, co-workers, and people we haven't even met yet that have been great. I'll quickly share two things that touched me today and then I'll give an update on Amanda.

First, I was surprised by getting back to work today and finding a gift for Amanda on my desk. The gift was from the competitors a couple of buildings behind our building that had heard about Amanda and wanted to do something nice. They picked her up a Webskins turtle and she absolutely loved it. Amanda loves Webskins and was happy she could get back onto the Webskins website at home since she couldn't get on while at the hospital. I have been touched many times by those who have not even met Amanda or know us very well but have reached out to offer support.

Second, when I came home I arrived at a sight I had never seen before. There were a good 10-20 women and young women working in our yard. They were mowing the lawn, pulling weeds and edging. It was a sight to be seen. I told them they may have put our yard into shock since it usually doesn't get that much care for the entire year. They put a lot of hard work into it and it looks great. When they were done the young men from our ward then showed up and started trimming the trees in the back yard. I am truly grateful to all that have sacrificed their time, efforts and talents for our behalf. It is hard not to be overcome by emotions when we see and feel the support that has been pouring out on us.

Even the number of followers to this blog has exceeded my expectations and is greatly appreciated. I try to keep Amanda updated with what is being put on the blog and show her all the people that have been reading about her and interested in how she is doing. She was happy to be home today but for a while this morning had to deal with the fact that it wasn't all over and she would have to go back to the hospital for more chemo, blood draws, bone marrow draw, etc. on Friday. She will have to deal with the changes a little at a time. She seems to be handling everything so well, so much better than I would have, anyway. She understands that she won't be able to play with others like she used to and we have to come up with other things to keep her mind busy.

One last thing before I go to bed. We've been impressed with how Amanda was able to swallow pills at the hospital and she did very well with them. However, when I went to the pharmacy last night to pick up her meds I wasn't ready for what they handed me. They didn't have the larger dose of one of her meds that she would have to take twice a day. They smaller dose the pharmacy had would mean 6 pills in the morning and 5 at night daily. For a young girl that is not use to swallowing pills that is a bunch. Amanda has taken it like a champ and doesn't really complain. She is even taking them 2 at a time (the smaller ones.)

Again, thank you for following along on Amanda's battle of leukemia. She knows she is loved very much and it is confirmed everyday by all of our family and friends and again, for that we are indeed grateful.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment